Give yourself permission to start again this year – let these journal prompts help you in formulating ideas and implementing changes in your life!
Every time a new year starts, we get a reset button. The New Year inspires in us the magical possibility of new beginnings. We start to think that this year will be our best year yet!
It is important to be able to reflect on the past and think about your future at the beginning of every year. One way to do that is to journal about it.
Writing down your thoughts and experiences can give you different insights about yourself and your life. Journaling also helps you get rid of mental clutter by helping you focus on what is important.
It is a low-cost therapeutic tool that helps you release your thoughts, feelings, and even your behavior on paper. It is practically one of the best ways for you to get to know yourself better.
The best part about journaling is that there are no rules. You are free to decide when, how, and what you want to journal.
If you’re not sure how to start with journaling, then here is a list of 100+ journal prompts! You can answer them one day at a time or as many as you want if you feel like you want to keep going.
Have an inspiring 2023!
Let’s do this!
Goals for 2023 journal prompts
- What are your top goals for 2023?
- Can you break down your top goals into smaller goals?
- What do you plan to do to keep track of your goals?
- What resources do you need to achieve your goals?
- Are there any specific steps you need to take to achieve your goals?
- How will you know you have achieved your goals?
- What are the possible challenges that can get in the way of achieving your goals and what can you do in case they happen?
- Who do you trust sharing your goals with?
- How will you celebrate once you reach your goal?
- If you knew you could not fail, what goals would you aim for?
New things for the new year journal prompts
- What new hobby or skill would you like to try in 2023?
- Are there any books you plan to read and finish in 2023?
- Are there any movies or TV shows you plan to watch in 2023?
- What concerts, festivals, fairs, or conventions do you plan to attend in 2023?
- What’s a new place you want to travel to in 2023?
- Did you try to do something that is outside of your comfort zone in 2022? Can you top that in 2023?
- What new dish would you like to try or cook in 2023?
Self-reflection journal prompts
- After everything you went through in 2022, the piece of advice you would give yourself for 2023…
- What gave purpose and meaning to your 2022?
- What does your dream life look like?
- If someone asked you to describe yourself, what would you say?
- What kind of person do you aim to be?
- What were you inspired by the most in 2022?
- Do you have any beliefs that make you feel limited?
- List down three things you would want to improve this year.
- What are your values, or what do you stand for without compromise?
- What do you like best about yourself?
- List down 10 things that make you happy.
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What gave you hope in 2022?
- How would you like to spend your birthday in 2023?
- What type of content do you consume regularly?
- Do you need a digital detox?
Mental health check prompts
- How do you manage stress?
- What can you do to make your life easier?
- What stressed you out the most in 2022?
- Did you grieve something or someone in 2022?
- What was the most challenging moment you had in 2022?
- Was there a time that you needed help in 2022? Did you ask for help and were you able to get it?
- What self-care practices do you engage in and how often do you do them?
- Were you forced to say “yes” to something in 2022 that you wanted to say “no” to?
- Did you spend time in nature in 2022?
- How often did you do your hobbies last year?
- What are the things that triggered negative emotions in you in 2022?
- Were you able to get alone time in 2022?
- What boundaries should you set in 2023?
- Do you have a mindfulness practice that you do regularly?
- What do you do when you feel alone, worried, or angry? How can you respond positively to these emotions?
Physical health journal prompts
- How did you prioritize your physical health in 2022?
- Have you gotten enough sleep in 2022?
- Did you drink enough water in 2022?
- Did you exercise regularly in 2022?
- Were you hospitalized in 2022? What can you do in 2023 to avoid that from happening again?
- Did you eat healthily in 2022?
- Do you have any weight loss goals or physical health goals for 2023?
Reflecting on the past journal prompts
- What is one thing you should let go of in 2023?
- What bad habits do you want to leave in the past?
- Do you have a traumatic experience in the past? Did that experience affect your current behavior?
- Do you need to forgive anyone so you can face 2023 without any emotional baggage?
- Are there things you need to forgive yourself for that are giving you baggage?
- What surprised you about yourself in 2022?
- What did you feel you wasted time on in 2022?
- What is your most cherished possession and why do you consider it important?
- What is the best holiday of 2022? Why?
- List down five things that you have accomplished in 2022
- What are 10 great things that happened to you in 2022?
- List down 20 small and ordinary things that would make you smile.
- What is going well in your life at the moment?
- What are five of your greatest strengths?
- Complete the sentence: “I could not have survived 2022 without…” and explain why.
- What was the most memorable moment of 2022?
- What have you done in 2022 that you are most proud of?
Spiritual Life journal prompts
- Describe your spiritual life.
- How often have you read the Bible last year? Do you wish you can read it more this year?
- Describe your prayer life.
- Do you pray when you feel worried about something?
- What can you say about your faith? Are you living it out?
- What steps can you take to inspire your children to live out their faith?
Relationships journal prompts
- What kind of people do you want to be surrounded with in 2023?
- Who do you want to know better but you are afraid of being rejected?
- Who inspires you to do better and why?
- Are you in love? Describe your relationship with your husband.
- What do you appreciate most about your husband?
- Do you do date nights regularly? What has been the most memorable date last year?
- What can you do to be a better wife this year?
- Describe your relationship with your kids.
- What can you do to be a better Mom this year?
- How often do you spend time with your family?
- Among your friends, who have been there for you the most in 2022?
- Did you meet your friends regularly in 2022?
- How did you nurture your friendships in 2022?
- What realization have you learned about your family in 2022?
- What parts of your social life do you enjoy the most and the least?
- How do you define success?
- What can you do to become more productive at work?
- Did you have a good work-life balance in 2022?
- How were your time management skills in 2022?
- What are the things that you can do to have a healthier work-life balance?
- How satisfied are you with your career?
- Does your career align with your passions? If not, why did you choose it?
- Did you challenge yourself at work in 2022?
- How often do you take breaks and time off?
- How are your relationships with your co-workers?
- Do you hope to be able to work from home this year?
- Are you hoping to quit work and be able to stay home with your kids? What actions will you take to make it happen?
- What financial practices do you implement and how effective were they?
- When you think about your finances, how do you feel?
- What financial decision did you make in 2022 that you were most proud of?
- What financial decision did you make in 2022 that you regret the most?
- Were you able to add to your savings account in 2022?
- Do you have any financial goals for 2023?
Living space prompts
- Reflect on your living space. How do you feel every time you come home?
- Are there any improvements you would like to do to your house?
- Have you tried to do a declutter session in 2022? If not, what are the things you’d like to declutter?
- How frequently did you clean your house in 2022?
Home Life Journal Prompts
- How does it feel in your home?
- What can you do this year to make your home more relaxing for you and your family?
- How often have you prepared healthy meals in 2022?
- Do you often spend a lot of time cleaning?
- What can you start doing this year that will lessen cleaning time?
- Do your kids help you with the chores? How can you motivate them to help more this year?
- What do you like most about your kids?
Getting involved journal prompts
- Have you served or helped out in your community in 2022?
- Have you joined any community groups in 2022? How was your experience with them?
- Do you plan to join any community groups in 2023? Why choose them?
- Have you contributed to taking care of the environment?
- What greener habits do you plan to do in 2023?
- What can you do to be more involved in 2023?
Time to restart!
While you can always hit the reset button and take on new priorities and goals at any point in your life, starting in the New Year is the traditional time that many of us consider making a change.
We hope that these journal prompts may help you set things right and turn your life around!